A previous post “The Most Narcissistic Person Ever” describes a person on his way whom the book of Daniel calls a despicable person and Jesus calls the abomination of desolation in Matthew 24. The person is described as a beast in Revelation and is also commonly known as the anti-christ. He is sometimes called the “man of sin”, although New Testament scholar Bruce M. Metzger argues that “man of lawlessness” is the original reading even though 94% of manuscripts have “man of sin”.
This person will be the embodiment of insolently proud rebellion against God and the ultimate seeker of dominance over man – having the ultimate goal of people worshiping him (as a proxy for Satan) instead of God. He will be far worse than any despot who has ever lived – including modern examples like Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, etc.. In ancient times there were many more. Daniel 9:27 describes him briefly this way,
and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate
What does this mean? He will come on the scene acting abominably in every way, leaving destruction in his wake. This sounds like how a narcissist rolls, and brings to mind one of our previous descriptions.
The scoffer [aka narcissist] is an abomination to men Proverbs 24:9
What other narcissistic traits and tactics does this despicable man show? He:
- Is insolent (8:23)
- Is skilled in intrigue (8:23)
- He leverages other power bases, especially Satan (8:24)
- Is shrewd and causes “deceit to succeed by his influence” (8:25)
- Magnifies himself in his heart, (8:25)
- Destroys many while they are at ease. (8:25)
- Is a despicable person (11:21)
- Takes control through manipulation (11:21)
- Practices deception (11:23)
- Speaks lies at the negotiating table (11:27)
- Becomes disheartened at opposition (11:30)
- Gets angry at opposition (11:30)
- Recruits others against his opposition (11:30)
- Uses smooth words to recruit others (11:32)
- Magnifies himself above everything else (11:36)
- Speaks monstrous things about and against God (11:36)
- Honors those who acknowledge his position and greatness (11:39)
- Gives high positions to his acolytes (11:39)
- Turns part of his conquests into cash (11:39)
- Lashes out against any possible challenge (11:44)
The good news is that even though man cannot defeat this guy, God can and will – suddenly and completely
And he will destroy many while they are at ease.
He will even oppose the Prince of princes,
But he will be broken without human agency. Daniel 8:25
[He will destroy] even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate.” Daniel 9:27
but it will not succeed, for the end is still to come at the appointed time. Daniel 11:27
he will prosper until the indignation is finished, for that which is decreed will be done. Daniel 11:36
yet he will come to his end, and no one will help him. Daniel 11:39
This insolently proud person, this narcissist of all narcissists will appear to succeed (as they all do), but God will step in with the last word, judge, and completely destroy him. As we see storm clouds rising, it is important to know what’s coming – but that, in the end, God and those who love Him, prevail.
Click here if you want to know the initial steps for how to know God personally.