Why does God allow narcissists* to wreak havoc? This is a tough question. Its a cousin to the question, “why does God allow Satan to hang around and cause so much destruction in the world, when HE could wipe Satan out at any time of HIS choosing?”
There is a significant amount of discussion required in order to provide the proper context for a full answer.
But a partial shorthand answer is:
Proverbs 16:4 – The Lord has made everything for its own purpose, Even the wicked for the day of evil..and.Romans 8:28 – And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose..and.Ephesians 1:8-12 – In all wisdom and insight 9 He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him 10 with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him 11 also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, 12 to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory.
- For testing, to see where our hearts lie
- For disciplining / chastening
- To motivate us to prune things in our lives
- For our refinement to conform us more into the image of Christ
- To help us gain wisdom
- To provide an example and contrast between God’s way of humility and Satan’s way of pride
- To provide an opportunity to show Himself strong on our behalf, as HE rescues us out of the narcissists’ hands
Some of the above can actually be a matter of one thing leading to the next. A failure in #1 can directly lead to #2, and #3. Responding positively to #2 and #3, can lead to #4 and #5, which can subsequently lead to #6 and #7.
We will discuss #1 through #7 much more fully in the future, with the proper Biblical foundation.
* Narcissism is the modern colloquial term for what the Bible calls “insolent pride”. See here for an explanation.